Your roof is one of your most important long-term investments for your home. You are not going to get roof work done every year. Hence, your roof needs to be stable and durable enough to stay intact for years. A roof should keep you and your belongings absolutely protected from extreme weather conditions and, it needs good strength for that.
Rockin Roofers is successfully handling several top-notch roofing works for years. Our experts have summarized some points. These are responsible for the lifespan of your roof. Also, we have included a brief on different types of roofs with their different lifespans.
The Factors Responsible For The Lifespan of Your Roof
- Quality of The Installation: The quality of the roof installed in your home is the most crucial aspect that decides its lifespan.
- Environmental Conditions: No matter how strong your roof is, extreme natural hazards can make your roof fall off. Hence, the lifespan of your rood is hugely dependent on the environmental conditions of the area of your home.
- Quality and Characteristics of The Materials Used: The strength of your roof depends on the quality of the materials used in it. The best quality materials and their suitability with the weather condition around your home can provide it a good lifespan. Otherwise, you can expect to repair or replace your roof soon.
Different Types of Roofs and Their Lifespan
- Asphalt Shingles: Normally available with warranties up to 25 years, Asphalt shingles are one of the most popular roofing materials. This type of roof made of fiberglass and asphalt sealant has the capability to protect your roof structure from snow, rain, wind, and harsh UV rays. You can expect these roofs to last between 15 and 30 years in usual weather conditions.
- Metal Roofing: You can expect metal roofing to last for an average of anywhere between 40 and 70 years. They normally come with warranties from 20 years to a lifetime. However, it is common that roofs made of premium metals like copper and zinc sometimes last for over 100 years.
- Wood Shakes and Shingles: Depending on the quality of wood you are using, a wooden shingle roof can last for about 30 years and they usually come with warranties up to 30 years. However, these roofs need to be cleaned yearly and repainted or stained every 5 years.
- Clay Tile Roof: The remarkable durability of clay tile roofs makes them last anywhere between 50 to 100 years. Also, you can expect to get warranties from manufacturers of anywhere from 30 years to a lifetime. Regular cleaning of these roofs is necessary to keep them safe from algae, moss, and mold. However, these roofs are not suitable for colder climates as constant freezing can damage the tiles.
- Slate Tile Roof: These roofs are the ones with the longest lifespan of anywhere between 75 and 200 years. As a result, the manufacturers normally offer warranties of anywhere from 50 years to a lifetime on these roofs. These roofs are capable to defend against extreme weather conditions. However, you should check the weight holding capability of your roofing system before installing these roofs. That’s because they are so heavy that 100 square feet of slate can weigh around 1000 pounds.
This is a brief overview to let you predict how long your roof can last. To get the best roof work done for your home, contact Rockin Roofers now. Also, you can check out our blog page for more information on roof works.